Friday, January 6, 2012

Habits of Healthy Living....Step 1: Food Prepping

Okay, it’s the New Year and we all know what that means...resolutions. “This year I’ll lose weight.” “This year I’ll save more money.” “This year I’ll make better use of my time.”  The good news is that I have a simple solution that could help you with all three: food prepping.

Food prepping is simply planning your meals, cooking ahead and pre-packaging individual portions. On the day you do your grocery shopping, set aside time while putting the food away to, cook what you need for the next 5-10 days.  An investment of 20-45 minutes will allow you to save valuable time during the week.

Here are some tips I’ve found that have helped me eat healthier, save money and maximize my time.


I WANT TO SAVE…


T, $
Always transfer produce into plastic containers. I only recommend the FridgeSmart® line from Tupperware®, but you can choose the style you prefer. This container helps your produce stay fresh longer -- helping you to avoid waste and unnecessary trips to the grocery.  Trust me on this one!!!!
T, W
Cook your proteins for the week on a single day. I make chicken breasts, fish fillets or other meats to have on hand already cooked when I need them.
T
While your protein is cooking, use the time to clean and chop the fruits and vegetables you will be using that week. Make sure to save the produce you’ve chopped in the Tupperware® containers.
T, W
You can also apply this method to your breakfasts as well. Boil a few eggs and/or make some oatmeal and store in individual ramekins that you can keep in the refrigerator for those hectic mornings.
T, $, W
Keep track of what you eat most (make healthy choices!). That way you can make sure to have staples and often-used ingredients on hand
T, $, W
Taking a pre-made lunch to work not only saves you the time of going out, it also allows you to control your calories and your budget!
$, W
Packing a lunch helps you to avoid the bad decisions we are all inclined to make when we get too hungry. It’s already pre-portioned and you won’t find yourself tempted to run through the nearest fast food restaurant. Knowing you’ve already made a meal, keeps you accountable to your goals
T, $, W
Keep a back-up meal in the refrigerator at work. That way if you work late, you have a healthy, inexpensive meal on hand.

T: Time, $: Money, W: Weight

Remember, it’s a lot easier to eat healthier, faster and less expensively if you’ve already made the choice to do so.

Be on the look out for my next post where I will detail, what a friend has dubbed “The Tilapia Plan”, my six week weight loss meal schedule…

No comments:

Post a Comment